careersolvers

Monday, January 21, 2008

Is it Time to Find a New Job?

Career Builder ran a piece today about deciding when it's time to leave your current job. While the right time is different for everyone, here are the signs I recommend you look for when considering a job change or career move.

Job change...
  1. You are no longer challenged by or interested in the tasks that you perform.
  2. You are not being paid competitively and attempts to negotiate your salary have not changed your situation.
Career change....

  1. You consistently question the value of what you do.
  2. You spend a significant amount of time thinking about pursuing another line of work.
  3. Your industry is shrinking and you have witnessed significant downsizing in your company or industry.
  4. You have consistently received poor performance reviews or you are on corrective action.
What has triggered you to make a job or career change? What benefits did you derive from doing so?

To read more about warning signs that signal it's time to leave a job and advice on general job search strategy, check out my interview on the They Tell You How blog.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • These are good ideas. I remember when I knew I had to leave a job was when I had this overwhelming feeling of sadness and defeat -- and just plain WRONGNESS. It was like an ill-fitting shoe. It rubbed me wrong from the minute I put it on, and just got worse over time. It was never going to get better until I got rid of it completely. Once I realized that, I didn't feel like I had failed, but rather like I just had to search until I found the right fit.
    Anita Bruzzese
    www.45things.com

    By Blogger Anita, at 5:12 PM  

  • Anita,

    Great points! I once left a job that I hated and at first I felt so defeated, but later on in life I realized that a bad job experience can also help you grow and figure out what you really want to do. Thanks for commenting.

    By Blogger Barbara Safani, at 12:23 PM  

  • Unlike the chronological resume, the main importance of this resume is to outline how well suited phd dissertation you are for the job based on your experience and accomplishments.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:24 AM  

  • Hey friends if you want to generate more and more robux for free then must try robux generator
    its best way to generate lots of robux for free online lets check it out guys

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home